A major urban park, once embracing 700 acres, originally established as a Deer Park in the 12th century. During the 13th century, the area was used as a hunting park for the De Lacys who were the Lords of Bowland on the Yorkshire-Lancaster border. Ownership of Roundhay passed through succession to John of Gaunt and then to his son, Henry IV. In the 16th century Henry VIII gave the park to Thomas Darcy. Through succession and marriage, it was acquired by Charles Stourton (1702-1753) in the 18th century.The main historic interest centres on the extensive works carried out in the late 19th century by John Nicholson.
Acting as sub-consultants to Purcell Miller Tritton (Conservation Architects), TGP provided landscape architecture services for the Delivery Phase undertaking detailed design and site supervision. The works included planting design as well as the restoration design associated with the Grade II listed Mansion House, Italianate Cupola, ornamental structures, lodges, lakeside café and boathouse.
Landscape Commendation Leeds Architecture Awards